Thursday, December 8, 2011

FROM THE AUTHOR - WHY I WROTE THIS BOOK

FROM THE AUTHOR

My intention in writing this book is to share my experience of life in Belize, as well as enlighten readers about the country. That part was a bit tricky, because I had to include informational text and keep my audience connected to the story.  I discussed the climate, the physical geographical aspects of the country, the different people (Mayans, African Creoles, Garinagus, Indians, Metizos, etc.), and interactions with the different customs and traditions.  I wrote about life in Pomona Valley, Dangriga where I lived since I was born;  my family's journey to Corozal, then moving to Hattieville soon after it was built.  I couldn't help but remember the Hattieville ghost, the snakes that seemed to be everywhere, and life in that village for my family.  My journey brought me and my family to central Belize City at a young age, and later on to Yarborough.  I inserted my story by telling of personal experiences, invariably expressing my viewpoints to connect the reader with that girl growing up at Yarborough. I related to the readers some of her trials, tribulations and triumphs, as she learned to reach for a higher power for hope, strength and fortitude to keep going when the odds were piled up against her.  I honored many of the people that touched my life by mentioning life encounters with them.  My experience at St. John's primary school, St. Hilda's College, where my educational foundation was laid, was a major part of the journey, and  where I had most difficulty narrating the story, because I felt that in order to connect with my readers, I needed to be honest.  The emergence of the United Black Association for Development (UBAD) political group played a major role in my life, in terms of awakening annd enlightment, and I still don't think that I have written everything about that segment of my life.  However, I wind up rewriting most of Part II over the past year, while doing that last edit.  I am now a little nervous about how this book will be received by those people who are close to me.
Love and Light

No comments:

Post a Comment